11 Leg cramps also have been reported in studies of medications such as clonazepam (Klonopin), citalopram (Celexa), celecoxib (Celebrex), gabapentin (Neurontin), and zolpidem (Ambien), which, ironically, are used to treat leg cramps.
Are muscle spasms a side effect of gabapentin?
pain in the lower back or side. swelling of the hands, feet, or lower legs. trembling or shaking.
What medications cause leg cramps at night?
Medicines that have leg cramps as a side effect include:
- Albuterol/Ipratropium (Combivent®).
- Conjugated estrogens.
- Clonazepam (Klonopin®).
- Gabapentin (Neurontin®).
- Naproxen (Naprosyn®).
- Pregabalin (Lyrica®)
Is gabapentin good for leg cramps?
Gabapentin was effective in reducing the frequency and severity of muscle cramps and associated sleep disturbances (clinical outcome measures) within the first 2 weeks of medication at 600 mg/d.
Does gabapentin affect bowel movements?
It is possible to experience not only diarrhea, but you may also have symptoms like nausea or constipation while on the drug. Some people also report heartburn as a side effect. Unless the gastrointestinal symptoms become severe, doctors will often recommend changes in diet to combat them while on gabapentin.
What is your body lacking when you have leg cramps?
If you have frequent leg cramps, one reason could be that your body needs more of the mineral magnesium. A 2017 study reported that up to two-thirds of the American population is magnesium deficient. Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the body and is essential for regulating your body’s functioning.
How do I get rid of leg cramps fast?
If you have a cramp, these actions may provide relief:
- Stretch and massage. Stretch the cramped muscle and gently rub it to help it relax. For a calf cramp, put your weight on your cramped leg and bend your knee slightly. …
- Apply heat or cold. Use a warm towel or heating pad on tense or tight muscles.
What can I drink for leg cramps?
Drink plenty of fluids. Sports drinks, such as Gatorade, will often help leg cramps.
How can I stop my legs from cramping at night?
Nocturnal Leg Cramp Prevention
- Stretch during the day and before bed. Focus on your calf and foot muscles.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Move around during the day to exercise your feet and legs.
- Wear comfortable, supportive shoes.
- Sleep under loose covers, especially if you sleep on your back.
How do you get rid of nighttime leg cramps?
You can try the following at home to try to relieve a cramp:
- Massage your leg. Rubbing the affected muscle may help it relax. …
- Stretch. If the cramp is in your calf, straighten your leg. …
- Walk on your heels. …
- Apply heat. …
- Drink pickle juice. …
- Take an over-the-counter painkiller if your leg is sore after.
Is Gabapentin a muscle relaxer?
Gabapentin is an anticonvulsive medication that originally saw use as a muscle relaxer and anti-spasmodic medication, but later it was discovered it had the potential of the medication as anticonvulsive medication and as an adjunct to more potent anticonvulsants.
Why does vinegar stop leg cramps?
Vinegar is seemingly able to outwit this reflex. Scientists suspect that the sour taste of the pickled cucumber water causes the receptors in the mouth to send a neural signal to the brain. The muscles are then controlled differently and as a result, cramps quickly disappear again or do not even occur.