Gabapentin (Neurontin) is used to treat nerve pain, which often occurs after shingles (known as postherpetic neuralgia) or as a result of nerve damage from diabetes (diabetic peripheral neuropathy). Gabapentin is known to cause lower leg swelling.
Is fluid retention A side effect of gabapentin?
The most common side effects, occurring in 10 percent of participants on gabapentin, were: dizziness. sleepiness. water retention (swelling of the arms, hands, legs, and feet)
How long does swelling from gabapentin last?
The authors reported bilateral pretibial edema after 3 weeks of gabapentin 300 mg/d for neuropathic pain. Within 3 days of discontinuation of gabapentin, the edema resolved.
Can gabapentin make your feet swell?
Patients taking Neurontin may experience swelling in the feet and ankles. The presence of lower leg swelling may cause discomfort and impair walking.
Can gabapentin cause pedal edema?
Incidence of pedal edema with gabapentin use is approximately 7 to 7.5% with all studies being in elderly patients receiving doses above 1200 mg/day. This case illustrates that lower doses of gabapentin can also cause this adverse effect.
What are the most serious side effects of gabapentin?
Gabapentin may also cause some serious side effects.
- violent behavior, aggressiveness, or anger.
- anxiousness or restlessness.
- anxiety that is new or worse.
- depression that is new or worse.
- irritability that is new or worse.
- panic attacks.
- suicidal thoughts or behavior.
How long can you stay on gabapentin?
The risks of withdrawal are higher if you’re taking high doses or have been on gabapentin for longer than 6 weeks.
How can I avoid weight gain on gabapentin?
Gabapentin may cause weight gain, but it is a rare side effect.
- Eating a healthy and balanced diet.
- Eating smaller portion sizes.
- Avoiding high-calorie snacks and desserts like chips, pastries and sweets.
- Eating low-calorie snacks like fruits and vegetables to manage hunger.
- Getting regular exercise.
Does gabapentin affect bowel movements?
It is possible to experience not only diarrhea, but you may also have symptoms like nausea or constipation while on the drug. Some people also report heartburn as a side effect. Unless the gastrointestinal symptoms become severe, doctors will often recommend changes in diet to combat them while on gabapentin.
Will drinking more water help with edema?
1. Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water per day. Though it might seem counterintuitive, getting enough fluids actually helps reduce swelling. When your body isn’t hydrated enough, it holds onto the fluid it does have.
How do I get rid of fluid in my legs and feet?
- Put your legs on pillows to raise them above your heart while lying down.
- Exercise your legs. …
- Follow a low-salt diet, which may reduce fluid buildup and swelling.
- Wear support stockings (sold at most drugstores and medical supply stores).
- When traveling, take breaks often to stand up and move around.
What is the best diuretic for edema?
More-severe edema may be treated with drugs that help your body expel excess fluid in the form of urine (diuretics). One of the most common diuretics is furosemide (Lasix).
How do you get rid of swollen ankles fast?
7 Helpful Ways to Reduce Swollen Feet and Ankles
- Walk it Out. …
- Drink Lots of Water. …
- Sleep on Your Side. …
- Enjoy Some Pool Time. …
- Limit Your Salt. …
- Wear Compression Socks. …
- Elevate Your Feet.