Gabapentin is known to cause lower leg swelling. In studies on patients with shingles, swelling appeared in 8% of the patients taking gabapentin.
Does gabapentin cause fluid retention?
The cause of weight gain with gabapentin is likely due to increased appetite. You may be hungry more often. In some cases, weight gain may be due to fluid retention, another side effect of gabapentin.
Can you get swelling from gabapentin?
Patients taking Neurontin may experience swelling in the feet and ankles. The presence of lower leg swelling may cause discomfort and impair walking.
Why does gabapentin cause edema?
Although the exact mechanism of action remains largely unknown, the analgesic effect of gabapentin is thought to be due to γ-aminobutyric acid mimetic and calcium channel-blocking properties. It is well known that calcium channel blockers, especially amlodipine, may cause edema.
Does gabapentin cause joint swelling?
swelling of the hands, feet, or lower legs. trembling or shaking.
How long does swelling from gabapentin last?
The authors reported bilateral pretibial edema after 3 weeks of gabapentin 300 mg/d for neuropathic pain. Within 3 days of discontinuation of gabapentin, the edema resolved.
Does gabapentin cause lower extremity edema?
Although gabapentin is generally well tolerated, 1 potential reported adverse effect is peripheral edema.
What are the most serious side effects of gabapentin?
Gabapentin may also cause some serious side effects.
- violent behavior, aggressiveness, or anger.
- anxiousness or restlessness.
- anxiety that is new or worse.
- depression that is new or worse.
- irritability that is new or worse.
- panic attacks.
- suicidal thoughts or behavior.
What does gabapentin do to the brain?
Gabapentin appears to work by altering electrical activity in the brain and influencing the activity of chemicals called neurotransmitters, which send messages between nerve cells. Brand names for gabapentin include Horizant, Gralise, and Neurontin. The medication is available in capsule, tablet, or liquid form.
Will drinking more water help with edema?
1. Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water per day. Though it might seem counterintuitive, getting enough fluids actually helps reduce swelling. When your body isn’t hydrated enough, it holds onto the fluid it does have.
Can gabapentin cause legs to swell?
It is important to recognize this adverse effect because gabapentin is used in conditions like diabetic neuropathy, which is associated with multiple co-morbidities that can give rise to bilateral leg swelling. Presence of gabapentin induced leg swelling can thus confound the clinical picture.
How do I get rid of fluid in my legs and feet?
- Put your legs on pillows to raise them above your heart while lying down.
- Exercise your legs. …
- Follow a low-salt diet, which may reduce fluid buildup and swelling.
- Wear support stockings (sold at most drugstores and medical supply stores).
- When traveling, take breaks often to stand up and move around.